- Pre-workshop activities: 10 min
- Introductory presentation: 10 min
- Hands-on activities: 50 min
Wordpress is a free and open source platform that can be used to create personal websites, professional websites, and blogs. Wordpress allows you to create and design your website in a relatively easy and accessible way. Wordpress has many features and templates, which facilitates the creattion of a customizated and personal website. This workshop will walk you through the process of creating a personal or project based website using either Wordpress.com or if you are a UVic student, staff, or faculty member, a BCNet hosted OpenEd.ca Wordpress website.
Participants will be able to do the following by the end of this workshop:
- Explain what WordPress is, why it is free, and what other web hosting options there are (including knowing the difference between WordPress.com vs WordPress.org: Plugins, 3rd party themes, modify template code).
- Use the planning process to create a website.
- Create a navigation structure for your website.
- Create a basic personal website on Wordpress.com.
- Create blog posts.
- Embed images and videos in blog posts and pages.
- Add pages static pages, including a static home page.
- Change the website template.
- Customize menus & navigation.
- Customize a Wordpress theme.